Tuesday 13 November 2007

Odd Phobias

Anyone have one?
Until last Thursday night I was held high on a pedestal of Nutterdom that my worst phobia was tidal waves. This seemed ridiculous to most of my friends given we live(d) on the South East Coast which happens to be attached to the English Channel, one of the most unassuming bodies of water in the Northern Hemisphere.
Nice – that’s what the English Channel is. Until of course we bugger up the planet so royally that 3m high tidal surges are about to become the norm. The first I heard about the imminent danger my children were in was when son younger called to say he would be home early that Friday as school was closed (during the week they live on the most easterly point of England, somewhere called Lowestoft, which is so dull that Norfolk won't admit to it) due to adverse weather conditions. Well I thought this rather odd given there was no bad weather happening up above us and although they were 100 miles away a bit of rain never hurt anyone and it certainly wasn't about to snow so I checked the schools website for closures which is when the panic set in. My worst fear realised. Day After Tomorrow happening in Norfolk at 7am the following morning. I spent the next 3 hours trying hard not to worry but had to go via the children’s godfather for information which even he had to be pressured into getting for me (oh the trivialities of relationships). I was desperate to tell their father to get them out of their right now - Lowestoft was being advised to evacuate for God’s sake. What was he doing watching TV and sniggering at the hysterical ex wife for her melodrama.
The news just wouldn't give up on it (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/7085394.stm) and of course this fuelled my fears. By bedtime the boytoy had thrown enough gin into me that he could get a decent nights sleep and I passed out with the alarm set for 7am when the wave was due to hit the East Coast.
Boytoy and I woke at 7am Friday morning to watch the surfers of Great Yarmouth and Lowestoft having the time of their lives. A little bit of flooding up the coast but nothing that couldn't be dealt with and certainly not the massive loss of life that was expected the night before. This wasn't really any succor for my soul though. My children are now in danger of being in the English version of some Hollywood type end of the world and my worst fears are justified. Can't help but feel a little smug though that, once again, even though it may have taken a good many years to prove it, I was RIGHT. HA!!!

4 comments:

Jonathan said...

I occasionally have a horrible recurring dream/nightmare where I'm sat on Brighton beach with my friends or my family, when I spot a tidal wave on the horizon. Everyone starts shrieking and running and I prepare my friends to do the same. They, however, inform me that no-one will be able to outrun the wave so it's best just to stay put and wait for it to hit.

So I have to decide whether to leave them and run or stay with them. Ugh, it's horrible.

Always wake up before I've made my decision.

Mas said...

I am so glad it isn't just me - I have the same nightmare. My eldest son, who has the same phobia, has decided he will just keep his surfboard handy (he's that cool)

Anonymous said...

2008 ford f250 car rental lancaster ca dodge part and accessory car evenflo medallion seat auto adventure portland oregon

Anonymous said...

I always spent my half an hour to read this blog's content all the time along with a mug of coffee.

Look at my weblog weight loss pills that work