Thursday 9 August 2007

Dad on the town.

When your (recently separated from your mum) dad tells you he misses intimacy with females of his age it’s time to do something drastic.

Run under a bus, vomit into the nearest bin, take a shower and scrub yourself with bleach or….grow up and face some hard facts.

Last night, in a fairly rare exchange of telephone communication I have to admit that it took a lot of guts for my dad to tell me that he’s considering getting back ‘in the game’, and he’d like to have a relationship with another woman.

Wooah there, I thought selfishly whilst I tentatively bandied the idea that maybe, just maybe it was a little bit too soon?

“Not really” dad told me bluntly. “It has been a fair while since me and Lynn exchanged anything more than an affectionate cuddle.”

Now I’m not a selfish person, and given the circumstances surrounding my parent’s separation (i.e the fact that it was driven entirely by my mum) I think my dad is well within his rights to find himself a lovely new lady friend to spend time with. I guess the burning issue here is, when is the ‘right’ time. For dad it’s now, and in many respects that should be the end of it.

I can’t help feeling for my mum though. In many ways I still believe that her decisions to force her husband away have been driven to an extent by mental illness. I can’t help thinking that when the time comes for Dad to find a lady at the local bridge club it’s going to hit mum like a steamroller in the stomach and she’s going to realise that the man she was married to for 37 years is beyond her reach. I hope this doesn’t happen of course, but I can’t help feeling like it’s one of those things you can never prepare yourself for.

We’ve all had it, a boyfriend who you were totally over who you suddenly discover through a friend has got married, or engaged, or worse, he’s got a younger or prettier girlfriend than you. You try and pretend you don’t care. Really hard as all of a sudden something which at times, you might have quite fancied having back is gone forever. Gulp.

One of my friends has recently broken up with a girlfriend of 34 only to bag a 22 year old blonde, giggly, hair flicking girlfriend. I just know if she knew she’d be sick as a dog.

Why is it that we always want what we can’t have? The eternal question.

2 comments:

Mas said...

22 and blonde - god how revolting.

I think your being very grown up about it and your dad clearly has much respect for your opinion to be so candid with you about how he's feeling, and personally I think its a good thing when your parents become your friends (obviously as I get drunk and eat out with the mooma at least once a month now and a jolly good time had by all)

My mums 60, athletic and pixie like (I am clearly not her daughter at all) and gavin says he would if he was in his 50's. Interested? rofl

Anonymous said...

Sam's mum? Wot about my mum? She's somewhere about 50, (no idea exactly what but I do remember her 50th a couple of years ago so lets call her 53 for the sake of argument) and enjoys golf and, erm, assumably other stuff - but I don't really know. Anyway she's single and spending my inheritance like there's no tomorrow. So if we could find her a nice partner that would half her living costs and everyone's a winner.

Morgan