Thursday 23 August 2007

Monster munch

Yesterday I let my inner green eyed monster out for a damn good walk around the office. In fact he helped himself to some toast, tea and played on the Wii.

This all took place during a stilted 10 minute conversation with my half cut boyfriend who let it slip that he’d spent the evening with a female friend. One who I don’t know very well (with the one thing I do know being that she has an almighty soft spot for him).

Whilst my monster cavorted around, I sat with an almighty sulk on feeling very hard done by. Why wasn’t I the one having fun with Steve and then, he came out with this cracker (which has once again had me convinced that men and women are simply not compatible).

Not being a thicky, Steve put two and two together and realised my sulk was because of this girl. He then proceeded to offer to put her on the phone so I could have a little chat with her to put my mind at ease. Yes, he really did ask me that. I scoffed and said I hardly thought that would help matters, promptly hung up and stewed whilst my monster jumped around doing cartwheels and refusing to go away.

Now, the logic from his end was, I presume, something along the lines of:

‘if I let Ali talk to Kat she’ll be able to reassure her and make her realise that there’s nothing to be worried about’.

What Kat would be thinking would be this:

‘I’ll speak to this silly, insecure girl in an entirely condescending manner then I’ll say something pitying to Steve about how on earth he puts up with her and I’ll come out smelling of roses having the upper hand’.

Unsurprisingly this stewing lead to lots of silly emailing to my girlfriends who fuelled my monster until Sam came along and wrung its neck by telling me to stop being so damn silly and start realising that I’m very lucky to have someone who always bends over backwards for me, and generally to shut up and give him a break.

Fair enough.

God I hate being in the wrong. Think that’s the last I’ll see of the monster for a while though, especially with angry Sam around to keep me in check.

No comments: