Tuesday 17 April 2007

The 30th bday

Ok, Ok, I’ve been slack of late with my blog, but I’ve been very busy and sometimes, I’m not close by to a PC….hard to believe I know.

This weekend went swimmingly well. Steve’s had a 30th Birthday to remember for many reasons, some suitable for the internet and some not, so a good mix of smut and sentimentality.

His main present was a portrait of his dad who died many years ago, drawn by the exceptionally talented (and very lovely) Ed Atkins from an aging picture I gave him. He obviously did a splendid job as Steve’s reaction was just as I’d anticipated. There was an initial quivering of the bottom lip, following by some tears. Of course I promptly burst into tears as well, so it’s a good job the gorgeous ink drawing was covered by the glass frame!

Apart from the present opening, we spent most of the weekend picnicing. Including a day in Richmond. A lovely choice of river side venue, perfect for drinking in the sun (and not at all down to my ongoing campaign that if I move in with Steve AKA- if we buy somewhere together, I will really only consider living here- the campaign is in it’s embryonic phase, but I think I made some in roads with the riverside drinking, the gorgeous village ‘green’ and the fab restaurants- I’ll keep you posted- obscene property prices are somewhat inhibitive).

Yesterday we lazed about all morning and spent all afternoon in Chez Bruce, my now favourite place to eat. Admittedly, I was battling a hangover, so there were some touch and go moments, one of which was when the baby squid arrived and looked more than just a little bit squirmy and wobbly. Thankfully it tasted lovely.

Over the weekend I was shocked but not altogether surprised (can that happen?) to discover the apparently widespread phenomenon of ‘vanity sizing’ which made me chuckle as I’m sooooo all over it.

Remember last week when I was banging on about my size 6 jeans from Gap? I was chuffed as I’ve never come close to a size 6 in my life and it appears I never ever will. Retailers such as Gap, River Island to name a few have been ‘outed’. It seems the labels they put on jeans and other clothes are more to massage our fragile egos than to actually remind us of our size. A size 12 in gap was in fact found to be some 3 inches larger than a ‘text book’ 12. I for one am all for it. If it makes us feel good, then long may it continue. The funny thing is, now I know this is the case, but I’m still chuffed with my size 6 jeans….I know. Vain.

This morning I got massively shat on by, well I assume by a pigeon. On my shoulder and dribbling down my arm…so life’s definitely about to get much better. Me and Lindsey might even find somewhere to live soon, you never know….

No comments: