Wednesday 11 July 2007

Like I give a damn

A rarely acknowledged but absolute benefit of growing old is the ability to just not give a shit about what you look like….sometimes. Of course there are times when this theory doesn’t hold much sway such as during a chance meeting of your boyfriend’s ex, or when you know you’re going somewhere full of gorgeous, toned young 20 some-things or worse….both. Shudder.

Last night was one such occasion where I caught myself and my friends in true, ‘two fingers to the world mode’. The occasion was a sleepover at my friend Liz’s house. I walked bare feet with my trousers rolled up like a bad tourist from Skeggy from the tube as I had hot feet. I got some looks, there’s no denying it. I smiled back. Emma topped me by arriving in her pyjamas, freshly showered, soaking wet curls, makeup removed and basically ready for bed. At 7am.

We then proceeded to drive to the Thai restaurant to collect dinner where Emma marched in her PJ’s without so much as a backward glance and I inwardly chuckled at the site of her parading around in her bedclothes with no compunction. We then sat on the sofa, ate like gluttons, scoured facebook for funny pictures of old school friends. Made rude comments about said ex school mates and their sterile new builds in Reading with their generic tiles, cheap wooden flooring and MFI fitted kitchens and generally were horrible, wine quaffing, loud lairy girls. I love my bestest friends in the world. And I love getting older, and starting to not care- (although I will admit to the recent gym membership to battle the bulge- but only after I discovered I am in fact 10 stone- I would like to add that this is for ME and not for anyone else- kind of)

1 comment:

Mas said...

I love that my young friends are getting old enough to appreciate the not giving a toss mode of over 28. You'll start leaving parties early because your tired and don't care if you miss anything soon, and then you'll start not holding back on holding forth - that bits my favourite. The weight issue is somethign we either have to work very hard indeed to reverse or better try and stay as normal as possible without turning into a drudge. Personally the most galling thing for me has been the grey hair but luckily its white and even luckier I am blonde. You have hair dye.
Appreciate your 30's women. Your young enough to still have much fun without getting too much of a hangover and old enough to say sod it and mean it.