Wednesday 3 October 2007

Jonathan's 30th

Today is my friend Jonathan’s 30th birthday and to mark the occasion, I thought I’d devote a little time on my posting today to him.

This is going to be fairly easy as this morning, in some bizarre turn of events, I found myself to be sitting opposite Jonathan’s body double on the Northern Line (give or take around a foot in terms of height- afraid the ‘doppel pips you Jonathan). I have mentioned this chap to Jonathan before and today thought I ought to try and take a photo of him to send over as a kind of freaky birthday greeting.

I carefully took my phone from my bag and switched on the camera, and pointed it in the doppel’s direction. I marvelled at the quirky combination of mismatching jacket and trousers, the dark combed forward and over hair and the heavy framed glasses. I took in what appeared to be a very worthy book title and it all fitted perfectly. It was a sign. I raised my phone pretending cunningly to text and the Jon-alike turned his head downwards so he was barely visible on my screen. He then looked up and no sooner had he done so, but a trendy tosser wearing a navy blue fitted jacket with the collar turned up stood in-between us.

As I left the train at Old Street I was sorely tempted to lunge at him for a final chance at the money shot, but decided that it might have appeared a little offensive and very difficult to explain in 0.2 seconds before the train pulled out of the station and rumbled towards Moorgate. I would have come across like some pervert up-skirter of the female variety- an upjacketer maybe.

The point is that the world could very well have imploded if I’d have sent Jonathan to Jonathan on Jonathan’s 30th, so it’s better that I didn’t.

And that, as they say, is all. Happy birthday Jonathan, you’re the best. xxx

2 comments:

Jonathan said...

Thank you Ali! Very nice to have a post dedicated to me.

Meanwhile, I'm gonna hunt this lanky lookylikey bugger down. There's only room for one Jonathan in this country. And there's a height restriction.

x

Ali P said...

I recommend you start by sitting on the very front carriage of the Northern Line, Bank Branch from Chalk Farm at around 9.03am. You won't miss him. He's a lanky fucker and no lie.