Monday 26 March 2007

A whole new world....

A wondrous place tra la la la. I'll wander near and far, tra la la la, let me share my whole new world with you.

Yes, today I have experienced the merest of glimpes at my new London lifestyle and I LOVE it.

And it's not necessarily to do with an inspirational day at work, but more to do with the fact that I am working in the coolest area. In terms of its location that is, as well as the office itself. In my lunch break I discovered I am a hop skip and a jump away from Brick Lane, it's legendary curry and awesome bars, and also 5 minutes walk to uber trendy Shoreditch, 10 minutes from Liverpool Street and Steve and best of all, 2 mins from Finsbury Square where I sat today, blissed out and eating my Pret Tuna sarnies watching two kitsch terriers dressed in pink coats and shoes, yes shoes. Ah, the glamour of it.

Don't get me wrong, I hate being the new girl, and spent the majority of today feeling painfully self conscious that no-one knows me from Adam, and probably have no interest in finding out. The new workplace is small, and as such, like a family, which makes it that little bit tougher as the bonds there are tight, and not necessarily easy to penetrate. In my limited experience at work however, I always find the workplaces that are overwhelmingly friendly straightoff, tend to be those who are hiding something and who turn out to be very unfriendly after you chip away lgihtly at the surface.

My most treasured friends who I've made at work haven't come easily. On the contrary, it's taken lots of time to foster and develop and put love and smiles and effort into these friendships. I have kept these friends from my ex-jobs and I hold them very dear, (and believe me, I take little else in terms of usefulness).

My point is that you need to have confidence in the fact that given time, you'll be a useful, integral and well liked member of any team, you just have to allow people to get to know that you're worth getting to know. So I'm pinning my hopes on that, and trying to learn the techy terms as fast as I possibly can...

Eeek.

No comments: