Wednesday 16 May 2007

Eggs from Ebay

I’ve been watching with great anticipation and eagerness the postings going on over at ‘lever pulled’ dreamboat’s, sorry, DAVE’s lovely new blog which has captured some of his inner innocence and softness quite beautifully in recent days. As a friend just pointed out to me, ‘it showed him in a whole new light’- not something the $%&^£ Channel 4 you bunch of F*^%g c%&*ts post captured as effectively.

Basically Dave is covering the plight of the pigeon who has laid her egg, well eggs, on a precarious ledge on the Nth floor of a rather tall purpose built block of flats. So far we’ve had high drama including ‘egg rolls from nest’ amongst others (well, actually that was it.) Last we heard Dave had intervened and placed the wayward egg back in the next alongside its brother or sister, so for the time being, all we can do is wait. I’m heading over to Dave’s on Saturday so I’ll be able to do some first hand reporting for your delight and entertainment.

Anyway, whilst on the topic of eggs and hatching, it amazed me to discover that you can actually buy fertilized eggs from ebay, which arrive the next day. Broody hens (and possibly pigeons) apparently have a spooky sixth sense and detect when an egg is a ‘good egg’ and will then happily sit on it and hatch it. I was wondering whether we might buy an egg for our pigeon and see what happens when she hatched a tiny chick, rather than a mini pigeon. It would be worth it to see the look on her face, and I think it could turn into an amazing scientific experiment as well as something we can all talk about for weeks and months to come. The chick, once hatched could be dispatched to Ant’s small plot of land where he tends to vegetables….allotment, that’s it. And could scratch around happily for the rest of its days. It’s a win win situation, surely?

http://cgi.ebay.com/12-Ringneck-Pheasant-Fertile-Eggs-to-Incubate-Hatch_W0QQitemZ320115001192QQihZ011QQcategoryZ46532QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

6 comments:

Jonathan said...

Oh god, that's such a good idea! Dave, Dave, Dave, whaddayathink?

Dave said...

I'm blushing, I'm actually blushing! :-)

As for the cross-species foster experiment- I've become very defensive of dear old Mum pigeon- I feel that this plan would be abusing my priveliged position as her guardian, oversee-er & saviour of her children- (besides, YOU try to get near her and slip her an egg, she won't make it easy!)

I am however, more than happy to incubate the Pheasantlings in a furry papoose as Ali suggested, which I shall wear with parental pride until they peck and nudge themselves out into the world.

I'm not bloody well doing the regurgitation feeding thing though
;-)

Dxx

Jonathan said...

"I'm not bloody well doing the regurgitation feeding thing though"

Sam Gordon might be interested?

Ali P said...

Brilliant, I made Dave blush. That's a massive result. I'll try Jonathan next. Remember when you got drunk J and said you intended to have sex with me before I died?

"QUOTE"

I'm a little disapointed by the rubbishing of the ebay plan, but I respect the love that you're giving to the bird Dave, so I'm prepared to let it lie.

I say we fashion the pampoose on Friday evening, the Crescent will be delighted to host such a wholesome event.

Dave said...

Aww, I wasn't rubbishing your idea :-) It's just that I've formed a protective bond with Mum pigeon, a bit like E.T. and Eliot-

I'm really exited about tomorrow!
's gonna be messy! Plus we all get to look forward to the hangover cure roast on Saturday!

Spiceworld!

Ali P said...

We're going to watch Spiceworld AND eat roast...does saturday get any better? Oh forgot, I have to pack. Boooooo hiss!!!