Wednesday 10 January 2007

Da yoof of 2day

Last night I had a pyjama party with three of my lovely girlfriends in Mile End, we ate sausages, and we talked about sausages. Standard stuff really.

I won't name names, but I'll refer to my friends as S, J & L.

S has two lovely teenage boys (it can happen) who live with their Dad and step-mother in Norwich. She has a very close relationship with the boys and she really is a shining example of a mother whose kids tell her everything....no really, everything. It's quite amazing.

Last night I discovered that there is a site called bebo.com, similar to myspace I suppose, which basically allows people (mostly kids it seems) to host their own web page, including a profile, link to their friends, an area to chat in, etc etc.

S showed us her boy's sites, and it was the beginning of a wonderful, if slightly scary insight into the minds of the teenagers of today. Until last night, I didn't think I was that uncool, infact, I would have prided myself on being pretty 'down with' what was going on. I am horrendously out of touch.

Here is an excerpt:

'fuk all jst skool rele skived last lesson bt gt fookin cort dwn shopz lol wen a woz ment 2 b in art u??'

For those of you with trouble deciphering this, it is a response to the question, 'what are you up to?'

And means this:

'Not much, just school really. I skived my last lesson but I caught at the shops when I was supposed to be in an Art lesson, you?'

The entire site is conducted in language like this and is barely decipherable.

I am getting old.

No comments: