Monday 29 January 2007

Fraternising with the ex-emy

This weekend I have had the absolute pleasure of spending quality time with some of the nicest ladies in the world, my female friends. Name check so that you all know just how much I love you, Jess, Sam, Lindsey, Anita, Elle, Anne-Sophie, Natalia, Katie, Sarah and Jemma. It's very rarely that I get to cram all of these lovelies into one weekend, so I feel it's quite an achievement. I am now oozing with oestrogen, in a non-moody kind of a way.

I just love to spend time with my ladies, as when you have something *important* to ponder (*boys may not consider this as such), you get a brilliant, wide ranging and insightful array of opinions, and thoughts to help you on your way.

The issue in question this weekend: Steve flying to New York in advance of the beginning of his conference to spend time with his ex-girlfriend, Nina, the 6ft amazonian, blonde bird from Essex and the antithesis of Ali-ness.

My feelings surrounding this ranged from mild psychosis, to gorgeous tolerance, to green eyed monster, to ranting nutter- mostly depending on how much I had had to drink.

Of course I felt the need to canvass everyone for their thoughts regarding this erm, delicate matter. Should I chill out and let it be, should I send regular texts to remind him that I exist or should I just get really drunk and forget about it?

These were my favourites:

Lindsey- If I were you Ali, I'd be getting on a plane, donning a long coat, a moustache, glasses and a fake nose, and following Steve on his dinner date with Nina. You can't trust men,ever.

Sam- Stuff and nonsence Ali, you're simply jealous that he's going to NY without you and that someone else gets to be in his company and not you. You're fab and he knows it, and you've got to be confident in that.

Jess- Given the circumstances in which they broke up and that it was a small fling, it's totally cool for Steve to want to remain friends. Also, it's not as if this is going to go anywhere, she's in New York for goodness sake.

AS- I would not be happy about this and would make this very clear (my gut feelings as well!)

Anyway, so I opted for getting very very drunk on Saturday, dancing stupidly in Audio with the Dans, Anita, Natalia and Anne Sophie, which meant I didn't even have to think about it. So when Steve phoned yesterday, I swallowed my pride and was sweetness and light, asked about how it had gone, if he'd had fun. And I quashed all my petty desires to ask if she was looking prettier than me, thinner than me, or what time they had got in. Turns out he'd had an 'ok' evening, and that Nina's current boyfriend, an Essex wideboy idiot, had gone to dinner with them- probably to supervise...tsk tsk, how very untrusting and controlling (hehehe).

I felt so good about it, being cool and chilled out and, dare I say it, temporarily low maintainence...not something I ever achieve with ease.

My god, being understanding and cool is hard work. Having a tantrum is much easier, which is why I must fight against it...onwards and upwards in the pursuit of the permanent destruction of the green eyed monster.

Likelihood of success....I'm undecided.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Ali, you have absolutely nothing o worry about!!! Play it cool, all these petty arguments about jealousy seem so irrelevant afterwards... Had a lovely saturday night too, drunk far too much though! See you soon
xx

Nat Uraleza said...

Ah, I'm in your list!

There was so much talk about sex! I'm ashamed of myself...

Hope everything with Steve is fine.

xx

Anonymous said...

yeah and what was this whole discussion about orgies in Lithuania????

Ali P said...

oh that was Mr Adams...and the alleged Orgy. Of course he doesn't read my blog, so we'll never find out whether this was true, or, as I suspect, mostly fictional.