Friday 12 January 2007

Maldivian mare...

This is going to sound like a terribly middle class blog, but I'm going to do it anyway, because well, I am shamelessly middle class some times, and this is definately one of those times. I'm so sorry to all my hay-man, eco-friendly pals, who would have heart attacks if they knew the fuel emissions generated from a flight over there.

Anyway, here i go, feel free to virtually b*tch slap me from here to the Indian ocean and back.

Lovely boyfriend has offered to take me to the Maldives as part of a valentines/'I've just been promoted and got a big bonus' treat. Of course, this is amazingly generous and wonderful. I LOVE the maldives with it's amazing diving, sea as warm as a hot bath, basking white tip sharks at your toes, cliche cocktails from scooped out pineapples etc etc.

BUT, as with everything, in amongst paradise there are some erm, pitfalls.

There's no swimming pool. Ok. So when you're on an island which you can circumnavigate in 15 minutes and you are surrounded by warm water it hardly seems an issue to not have a pool, but, if you're like me, when you've had a hard day of chilling on the beach, it's nice to mooch up to the pool, get the sand and salt off your skin and sit at the pool bar. Without one, where do you go to drink?!

Also, where do you do handstands and pretend you used to have synchronised swimming lessons and try and do fancy things with your legs? Where do you practice your diving/belly flops? Where do you do your best to not look like a beached whale whilst trying to get out? All these things are vitally important, aren't they?

On this occasion, I fear my priorities are misplaced.

Anyway, I've left the booking in Steve's hands, so by the time I leave work, I could be leaving to go on holiday in 3 weeks.

GET IN!!!!!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I thought I should point out that according to www.climatecare.org the cost to the environment of you and Steve travelling all the way to the Maldives and back is 4.89 Tonnes of Carbon being released into the atmosphere.

You may be able to sleep at night however if you go to their website and pay an offset fee which is then channelled into a forest growing project in Kazakhstan or maybe even 5 Tonnes of Sandbags being sent to the people Maldives. They can then use these to place around their low lying islands in a desperate attempt to slow the encroach of the sea due to the melting ice caps caused in part by people travelling half way around the world to sit on a beach.

I’m only jealous and I can’t really talk anyway. I’ll be doing my bit to pollute the planet this week by flying to Edinburgh and back (0.15 Tonnes) instead of getting the train. This is the sensible thing to do in some ways however as it is cheaper to fly than to get the train and far quicker. I will be feeling a modicum of guilt whilst on the plane, but will soon forget about it as I’ll be on holiday!