Monday 22 January 2007

Happy anniversary to me

Today is mine and Steve's anniversary. It's an anniversary of sorts, as well, we have already been together for well over a year, but in an 'on and off' fashion, much like Jude Law and Sienna Miller I like to think, but hopefully slightly less irritating.

To celebrate the rather miraculous passing of one year, Steve took me to Chez Bruce on Friday night. For the uninitiated in restaurants, this is consistantly voted one of the top restaurants in London, and has the honour of a Michelin star bestowed upon it....my first ever visit to a restaurant this fancy, so very exciting!

And it was pretty special. For a romantic occasion this place really hits the spot. There's no pretence, no dress code, and from the outside, this really is one of the most unassuming places. Once inside, the place is modern but not offensively trendy, the pong of cheese from the exceptionally cheesy board is the first thing which assaults your senses, but very quickly it becomes part of the olfactory scenary.

The sommelier was helpful without being intrusive, and we were soon guzzling some champagne and some scrummy merlot.

For dinner I chose the lobster and crab raviolo (yes, with an o) to start and then the beef, which was scrumdiddlyumptious....and then, to top it off, a hot chocolate pudding, which was quite literally to die for. Of course Steve and I finished our evening of high-browed dining with a couple of Eastenders re-runs as soon as we got home...class!

For anyone who ever happens to be in the Wandsworth area and wants to treat themselves or someone else...this has got to be up there. At about £50 for 3 course each, plus wine of course, it's pricey, but amazing value for money when you consider quite how sublime the food is...go on...do it.

Of course, I feel quite a foody this week, being that I'm off to Padstow tomorrow to eat in Rock Stein's restaurant (after a cooking lesson, god help me!). I'll be blogging with my own recipe for Lobster Thermidore in no time at all.

I'll be the size of a house by the time we go on our hols....thank god the Maldives is full of obese Americans, so in comparison I'll be sleek, toned and lovely. [Please let this still be the case]

So, slight hiatus now but I'll be back on Thursday when I get back from Cornwall, no doubt with many funny stories about lobsters, blunders and hangovers.

Adieu for now.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Odd question from out of the blue... but I'm doing this art project for the Brighton Festival which involves people's stories - installing them around the centre of town in the places where they happened. I stumbled across your burglary story. (Poor you by the way. It's a shitty thing. We were burgled on Xmas day a few years ago.) For geographical reasons too complicated to explain, it probably won't fit, but would you be at all interested in talking about a little more. My site is www.unmadeup.com - though the project I'm talking about is a little different. Confused? Happy anniversary anyway!

Ali P said...

I'd certainly be interested to hear a little more about your project....will visit your site and get in touch, ali p